Districtwide Secondary Transition Capacity Building Institute 2023
Expanding Postsecondary Pathways for Students with Disabilities
September 29, 2023
SchoolTalk, the DC Special Education Cooperative, the District of Columbia Office of the State Superintendent of Education Division of Teaching & Learning, and the District’s Secondary Transition Community of Practice are hosting a Districtwide Secondary Transition Capacity Building Institute for local education agencies and community organizations.
Participants will increase their knowledge about secondary transition for students with disabilities, gather resources, and meet with individuals from across the District who are working diligently on improving post-school outcomes for students with disabilities. Additionally, school-level special education and college and career readiness (CCR) teams will access support to develop strategic secondary transition programming plans.
Keynote Speaker: Valerie C. Williams, Director, U.S. Department of Education, Office of Special Education
- Registration Deadline EXTENDED: September 22, 2023
- Event Date: September 29, 2023
- Event Time: 8:15 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Location: DC Office of the State Superintendent of Education (1050 First Street NE, Washington, DC 20002)
- Increase their knowledge about secondary transition for students with disabilities.
- Gather resources.
- Meet with individuals from across the District who are working diligently on improving post-school outcomes for students with disabilities.
- Work in teams to develop a strategic plan for improved secondary transition programming at their school campus*
*School teams of three to five diverse professionals (e.g., school administrators, secondary transition specialists, local education agency representatives, school counselors, case managers, general education teachers, etc.) are encouraged to join as there will be designated team planning session with trained facilitators.
Space is limited to 150 educators. Register by Monday, September 18, 2023!
7 Reasons Why District Educators Should Participate
- Local focus, local resources!
This event is just for secondary transition and education professionals working in D.C. communities and includes an exhibit hall.
- Prepare for the future!
Work with your special education and college and career readiness teams to strategically plan for improved transition programming.
- Go beyond basic compliance!
Gather resources to enhance secondary transition planning.
- Not an ordinary conference!
Engage in opportunities to increase capacity at your school
- Tools and resources!
Access the newest secondary transition tools, resources, and research.
- Build your professional network!
Connect with your peers from Rehabilitation Services Administration counselors to special educators to community partners via in-app networking opportunities.
- In-person learning!
Build meaningful relationships without a screen.
Sponsored by the DC Office of the State Superintendent of Education. Hosted in partnership with the DC Special Education Cooperative, and SchoolTalk’s DC Secondary Transition Community of Practice